Commonly Abused Substances
Ironically, most commonly abused drugs are legal! Alcohol and tobacco products are among the highest legal substances that lead to abuse and addiction, as are prescription opioids for pain management. Marijuana has recently been approved for medical use in over half the states.
- The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse has a comprehensive chart that outlines the most commonly abused illegal drugs such as marijuana, heroin and cocaine and provides examples of their health effects and risks here.
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse also provides a complete and easy to use chart of the most commonly abused drugs here.
Learn more about commonly used and abused substances:
- Opioids (Prescription)
- Illicit drugs (cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines)
How IANA Health Can Help
IANA Health is your resource for important information on substance dependence and where you can find help to break the cycle of use, dependency, and addiction. Find more information and critical resources on this website:
- Substance dependence vs. addiction – understanding the difference.
- Understanding Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT).
- Prevention Center – Vital information of preventing substance dependence and addiction in children, teens, and adults.
- Treatment Center – Recommended treatment approaches for breaking the cycle of substance dependence and addiction.
- Management Center – Information and resources for recovery and living a substance dependent-free life.
- Naloxone Center – Life saving information on reversing opioid overdose.
- Pain Management Center – Choices and alternative options to opioid and pain medications.
- Wellness Center – Lifestyle tips for greater wellness.