The Recovery Period
The journey from substance use, abuse, and addiction through recovery is a long one and every individual’s fight to overcome the grips of a substance use disorder is unique and very personal.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) definition of recovery says, “Recovery is a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live self-directed lives, and strive to reach their full potential….”
SAMHSA goes on to state, “Hope, the belief that these challenges and conditions can be overcome, is the foundation of recovery. A person’s recovery is built on his or her strengths, talents, coping abilities, resources, and inherent values. It is holistic, addresses the whole person and their community, and is supported by peers, friends, and family members.”
“Hope, the belief that these challenges and conditions can be overcome, is the foundation of recovery…” [SAMHSA]
The recovery journey is a personal one, full of struggle and overcoming personal demons. But, the journey is also filled with restoration of self-worth and self-love. The recovery period is like rediscovering yourself, what makes you happy, what makes you feel healthy and good, while also rebuilding connections with loved ones and the community.
Thanks to the many substance use resources for prevention and treatment as well as a renewed national focus on helping individuals battling drug addiction overcome their dependencies, recovering addicts have more hope for a better future than ever before.
Find more information on recovery-focused care and support:
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) – About Recovery - https://www.samhsa.gov/recovery
- SAMHSA’s Recovery Support Efforts - https://www.samhsa.gov/recovery/samhsas-efforts
- About Peer Support and Social Inclusion - https://www.samhsa.gov/recovery/peer-support-social-inclusion
- SAMHSA resources for recovery and recovery support - https://www.samhsa.gov/recovery/publications-resources
- Video – Thoughts on Recovery: Rhonda’s story - https://youtu.be/1cG8i5BMOvM
- Video- Thoughts on Recovery: Cliff’s story - https://youtu.be/l9GV80QXMnE
- Video- Thoughts on Recovery: Reno’s story - https://youtu.be/nDqojPjkGJI
- Video – Thoughts on Recovery: Michelle’s story - https://youtu.be/TbXTWLvzx9I
- Steps to Complete Drug and Alcohol Recovery - https://www.recovery.org/topics/the-addiction-recovery-process/